Thursday 11 May 2017

Assessment rubric with Quick Rubric

Hi everyone!

Now is time to evaluate the work done by our children. To do that, we have to design an assessment rubric.
I am going to include some important elements to take into account when designing rubrics.

What means assess?
To assess means to evaluate students knowledge about the subject matter. It determines if the aims have been acquired or not. The following characteristics are the one that I am going to take into account:
Provides diagnostic feedback.
- Evaluate progress.
- Helps educators set standards.
- Motivates development.
- Allows self-evaluation.

What is assessment rubric?
It is a tool that indicates the marked aims or criteria. It can be used for class participation, acquired knowledge and so on, in any primary course.
I decided to create a rubric to evaluate my students. When creating a rubric it is important to consider the final result that the student are going to produce and also the progress that they make throughout the Project.

Rubric elements
To create a rubric we have to take into account some elements:
- Aspects of the learning process to be assessed.
- Criteria.
- Scale of ratings.
- Clear descriptors.

Creating a rubric
First you have to think what you want to evaluate with your rubric and start designing a prototype rubric. To make it, I have used Quick Rubric. This is an easy and brilliant tool to create rubrics on a faster way.
I have taken into account the following aims: content knowledge, class participation, progress during the Project, group work and self-evaluation (of each child, they have to complete it) and this is the final result.
Image retrieved from Quick Rubric

After assess them with the rubric, the teacher can ask them if they are agree or not, in order to make them self-assessment.
They can also write their opinions about the activities on a paper and give it to the teacher, this is so that the teacher can improve the activities, his/her assessment by the students.


Self-reflection and conclusion
Before this challenge, I knew that evaluation was important in the teaching-learning process. In addition, I created several rubrics for this, but I always used Word because I did not know about this tool. Now that I know Quick Rubric, I am going to continue using it since as I said earlier, it is easy to use and brilliant to create rubrics faster.
In addition, I recommend you to create a scheme before you start designing it, so you have everything well organised. This will be very useful when you start creating the rubric since it will only be copied with the tool.

In my opinion, I consider that the rubrics are crucial when evaluating a child all the work he/she has done during the lessons, although we do not always take enough time to design them. Therefore, I encourage you to spend more time creating a good rubric so that when you have to evaluate any child, it will be easier for you.

If you have any doubt or you have tried it, leave a comment. I hope you like this resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment